This is a rare find to still survive a German Wehrmacht cardboard 15cm Nabelwerfer rocket transport canister with original paper label dated 1944 and maker markings on the inside if the lid it is in very nice condition semi relic condition more then relic.The canister is complete with a lot of its green paint work clear to see it has white stencilled marking partly can be seen on the side of it the tube. The cardboard has got some chunks missing and has some damage but no holes and is still very solid the lid still opens and closes but the lock is missing.On the inside of the tube it has it has its original cardboard colour and green paintwork on the inside of the lid the tube is overall in very nice condition with some surface rust on the lid and the bottom plate it has been very well cleaned retains a lot of original colour and very rare to find from the battlefield in such good condition.This canister along with other parts were taken from a abandoned German vehicles after the war in the village of Mont which is just North of Houffalize all the vehicles belonged to the 116th Panzer Division.It was taken of the vehicle properly in around 1946-1948 by a local farmer who was taking the parts of vehicles for use on his farm the canister its self along with other bits of equipment were found in a outbuilding by a local collector who bought them from the farm ans had them in his private collection until 2018 when they left the Ardennes area for the first time since the war.This is a very nice relic from the Ardennes Forest campaign during the battle of the Bulge in the winter of 1944-1945.This real bit of history from this famous battle which was Hitlers last offensive in the West and comes with 2X A5 laminated information sheet with pictures.
THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS IT IS AT A REDUCED RATE. PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE.
The 116th Panzer Division, also known as the "Windhund (Greyhound) Division", was an armoured formation that was constituted in the Rhineland and Westphalia areas of western Germany in March 1944 from the remnants of the 16th Panzergrenadier Division, and the 179th Reserve Panzer Division. The 16th had suffered heavy casualties in combat on the Eastern Front near Stalingrad, and the 179th was a second-line formation that had been on occupation duty in France since 1943.
The 116th Panzer Division participated in the failed Ardennes offensive. On the 10th December 1944 in the days before the offensive started it was partly refitted, with 26 Panzer 4 Tanks and 43 Panther Tanks and 25 Jagdpanther tank destroyers (of which 13 were combat ready). However, it was still missing much of its organic transport. Initially stalled by the resistance and then poor bridges in attacks to cross the Our River at Luetzkampen and Ouren it back-tracked to march through Belgium from Dasburg to Houffalize. The division then fought its way as the middle spearhead of the advance on the Meuse from Samree to La Roche. It was then involved in heavy fighting at Hotton and Verdenne, where it was turned back at its furthest advance in the Ardennes. It later held the Allies at bay for other units to retreat, before being withdrawn over the Rhine in March 1945.Its commander was General Siegfried von Waldenburg for the Ardennes offensive and until the 18 April 1945 when the majority of the division was forced to surrender to the U.S. Ninth Army, having been trapped in the Ruhr Pocket.