The town was occupied by the Germans as part of fortress Saint Malo. Its strategic position on the road to Saint Malo and the presence of the airport made it an important element of the German defence in Brittany .The American 83 infantry Division attacked Saint Malo and it was the American 126th Infantry Regiment which attacked Pleurtuit its self the battle for the liberation of the town lasted a couple of days after heavy fighting. The battle for the walled city Saint Malo and the fortress positions began on August 4 1944 Allied intelligence had believed that there were 1000 German soldiers holed up in the area enclosed by the old walls and had bombed it heavily, however, when the city surrendered on August 14 only 83 German soldiers were taken prisinor. The commander of Fortress Saint-Malo, Colonel Von Aulock, surrendered all German forces in the area on August 17th, 1944. Most of the German troops in the area where the remnants of the 77th Infantry Division which were badly beaten in Normandy they were involved in the heavy fighting around the port and were so further decimated that on August 15 the division ceased to exist. The infantry division was only formed on 15 January 1944 in the town of Munsingen they were sent to Normandy as part of the 7th Army.
THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS. IT IS AT A REDUCED RATE. PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE