Relics from the Front Since 2010
  • German mg 34/42 single ammunition tin over painted dark blue found in the 1970's on Jersey in the channel islands from German occupation 1940-1945

    Free Shipping!
    There is only 1 item left in stock.

    This is a German mg 34/42 single ammunition tin, over painted post war in a dark blue colour but some of this has come off now and it is rusty metal in places there is surface rust all over in patches .The lid still opens, closes perfectly and does lock the tin is in semi- relic condition with some rust holes in the bottom but no other damage it has been very well cleaned and the inside is perfectly clean with lots of original black paintwork it is overall in lovely condition on the lid the handle has rusted solid as have the 2 side handles but a very nice example of this mg ammunition tin. The tin was originally found in the 1970's on Jersey in the channel islands from German occupation 1940-1945 but has unfortunately been over painted for a restoration project and then ended up in a private collection where it has been for years. It is rare to get any German equipment from the Channel Islands a very nice relic from the only bit of captured British soil. 

    The German Occupation of Jersey began one week after the British government had demilitarized the island fearing for the safety of civilians should there be any conflict. The codename for this was “Operation Green Arrow” and the initial German Air Force reconnaissance flights mistake civilian farming lorries for troop carriers. On the 28th of June, the German Air Force, not knowing of the demilitarization, bomb and machine gun multiple sites on the island. The attacks killed ten people and wound many more. A few days later on the 1 of July 1940 General Richthofen, The Commander of the German Air Forces in Normandy, dropped an ultimatum from the air demanding the immediate surrender of the island. White flags and crosses were placed in prominent positions, as stipulated by the Germans, and later that day Jersey was occupied by air-borne troops under the command of Hauptmann Gussek. Until 7.15am on 9 May 1945, on the quarter deck of HMS Bulldog, Second-in-Command for Guernsey General Siegfried Heine signed the Instrument of Surrender on behalf of the German Command of the Channel Islands, effecting their capitulation. On completion of this, General Heine was then ordered to “immediately cause all German flags and ensigns now flying in the Channel Islands to be lowered”


    Pin on X 47