THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING AND UK SHIPPING ONLYTHIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING AND UK SHIPPING ONLY
This is a Russian 50mm mortar bomb nice condition relic which is empty and inert which is de activated by condition and still has its metal plug which screws in pretty good also the tail fin section unscrews as well .The mortar bomb which is in relic but solid condition it still retains some of its original colour it has a lot of black paint not sure if it is original or not it has been very well cleaned the metal is pitted but overall nice condition for a relic it is perfect for display or any collection and a very nice condition find from the battlefield and unusual to find in such nice condition. The mortar bomb was recovered from the city of Kostrzyn the battlefield of late 1944 until early 1945 on the Polish- German border. The bomb comes with a A5 laminated information card with picture.
Kostrzyn was an old, fortified city on the Oder River. It was an important location because of the road- and railway bridges across the Oder. In February 1945, the first troops of the 1st White-Russian army arrived here. Hitler declared the city as important defence point. The remaining German units of the 9th Army were under command of SS General Ferdinand von Sammern-Frankenegg. The German garrison, estimated at between 9,000 and 16,000 men and boys, in the small town on the eastern bank of the Oder River, some 70 kilometres east of Berlin. On January 25, by order of Adolf Hitler, Küstrin the German name for Kostrzyn had been made a Fortress Town, meaning that it was to be held to the last man and last bullet. The penalty for retreat was death. It was here that the prelude to the Battle of Berlin would take place. After heavy fighting General Ferdinand von Sammern-Frankenegg had to surrender the city, against his strict orders. At that time, he had only 600 soldiers left fighting who were taken prisoner by the Russians.