Relics from the Front Since 2010
  • German mg34/42 machine gun ammunition tin with green paintwork remains recovered from Luftwaffe airfield at Audembert near Calais used in battle of Britain 1940 by Jagdeschwader 26 the unit commanded by Adolf Galland, remained a fighter base until 1944

    £55.00
    Free Shipping!
    There is only 1 item left in stock.

    This is a German mg34/42 machine gun ammunition tin which is world war 1 pattern. The tin is in nice relic condition with a lot of surface rust on the outside but with remains of the the original green paintwork and on the inside it has a fair bit of its original green paintwork very clear to see it is in nice condition overall the box is in very solid condition with no holes the lid still opens, closes but the lock does not work as it is broken also has its original metal carry handle which has rusted in place and has its small side handles. The tin was recovered from the site of what was the Luftwaffe airfield base at Audembert near Calais used in battle of Britain 1940 by Jagdeschwader 26 the unit commanded by Adolf Galland, remained a fighter base until 1944.The tin comes with 2xA5 laminated information cards.


    Audembert air field was a German airfield 230 kilometres north of Paris.
    It was a Feldflugplatz (wartime airfield) of the Luftwaffe during World War II, but it probably existed already before the outbreak of World War II. It was located close to a mile from the English Channel. Due to its location, it was the closest airfield to England, and therefore one of the most important fighter airfields during the Battle of Britain. In the summer of 1940, the airfield was used by I./JG26 'Schlageter', flying Bf109Fs. Jagdgeschwader 26 'Schlageter' was the unit of Adolf Galland, a German fighter ace, who later that year was promoted to command the entire Jagdgeschwader. After the Battle of Britain, the airfield remained a Luftwaffe unit. The field consisted of a single surfaced runway, some taxi tracks and hangars. The Luftwaffe continued to use the airfield until the Normandy invasion in 1944.
    After the area was taken over by the Allies in late 1944 however, it was returned to farmland after the war and is still that today the picture below shows Adolf Galland on Goering´s visit to JG 26 at Audembert on the 5th December 1941.


    THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING, FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS, IT IS AT A REDUCED RATE, PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE.


    Pin on X 47image