THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING AND UK SHIPPING ONLYTHIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING AND UK SHIPPING ONLY
This is a nice and rare find from the battlefield it is a Russian RG-42 hand grenade which is complete apart from fuse but is empty and inert. The grenade is in very nice condition for relic the metal case has no rust holes or damage it does have some light pitting it has been over painted to black to help preserve it and has been nicely cleaned and is perfect for display or any collection. The hand grenade was recovered from the city of Kostrzyn the battlefield of late 1944 until early 1945 on the Polish- German border. The shell comes with a A5 laminated information card with picture.
Kostrzyn was an old, fortified city on the Oder River. It was an important location because of the road- and railway bridges across the Oder. In February 1945, the first troops of the 1st White-Russian army arrived here. Hitler declared the city as important defence point. The remaining German units of the 9th Army were under command of SS General Ferdinand von Sammern-Frankenegg. The German garrison, estimated at between 9,000 and 16,000 men and boys, in the small town on the eastern bank of the Oder River, some 70 kilometers east of Berlin. On January 25, by order of Adolf Hitler, Küstrin the German name for Kostrzyn had been made a Fortress Town, meaning that it was to be held to the last man and last bullet. The penalty for retreat was death. It was here that the prelude to the Battle of Berlin would take place. After heavy fighting General Ferdinand von Sammern-Frankenegg had to surrender the city, against his strict orders. At that time, he had only 600 soldiers left fighting who were taken prisoner by the Russians