THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING AND UK SHIPPING ONLYTHIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING AND UK SHIPPING ONLY
This is a German fantastic condition complete shell fired by 7.5 cm leichtes Infanteriegeschütz 18 Infantry gun which is empty and inert which is not really relic much better condition then that but the head screws in and out perfectly. The shell which is in fantastic condition with its high explosive head which is a late war KAZ 1 which has clear to see battle damage impact hits and marks which does have maker markings that can be seen is a bit pitted and has been painted black the main body of the shell also with maker markings it is in very solid condition it has cleaned up very well and retains some of its original colour the metal is only very lightly pitted but overall very nice condition it is perfect for display or any collection and a rare find in such nice condition from the battlefield. The shell was used by the 9th Army recovered from the city of Kostrzyn the battlefield of late 1944 until early 1945 on the Polish- German border. The shell comes with a A5 laminated information card with picture.
Kostrzyn was an old, fortified city on the Oder River. It was an important location because of the road- and railway bridges across the Oder. In February 1945, the first troops of the 1st White-Russian army arrived here. Hitler declared the city as important defence point. The remaining German units of the 9th Army were under command of SS General Ferdinand von Sammern-Frankenegg. The German garrison, estimated at between 9,000 and 16,000 men and boys, in the small town on the eastern bank of the Oder River, some 70 kilometres east of Berlin. On January 25, by order of Adolf Hitler, Küstrin the German name for Kostrzyn had been made a Fortress Town, meaning that it was to be held to the last man and last bullet. The penalty for retreat was death. It was here that the prelude to the Battle of Berlin would take place. After heavy fighting General Ferdinand von Sammern-Frankenegg had to surrender the city, against his strict orders. At that time, he had only 600 soldiers left fighting who were taken prisoner by the Russians.