NO POSTAGE COLLECTION ONLY OR DELIVERY AT A SHOW I AM ATTENDING,DELIVERY POSSIBLE TO SOME AREAS BUT DONE BY PRIOR ARRANGMENT BEFORE SALE
This is a very rare German M40 helmet with white painted snow camouflage paintwork remains which is overpainted on to the famous green paintwork of which is still all over the inside of the helmet fairly clear to see this helmet really retains an awful lot of original colour. The helmet has the single eagle decal remains the bottom of the shield outline is there it has no leather liner or chin strap it is very smooth to the touch really semi-relic more then relic it is only very lightly rusty and pitted with no rust holes it does have the wooden pole mount bracket welded on to the side of it which has its complete long wooden pole still in place the pole is 71 inches long the wood is still very solid not braking up at all. The helmet is lovely and solid not braking up or falling apart and on the inside has its maker mark and maker size stamp a size 62 so very small helmet possibly even a boy solider it has been very well cleaned as is perfect for display or any collection and a very rare helmet to find from the battlefield especially in this condition. The helmet was available for the first time since the war outside of the Ardennes Forest where it has been for nealy74 years. This helmet along with other parts were taken from abandoned German vehicles after the war in the village of Mont which is just North of Houffalize all the vehicles belonged to the 116th Panzer Division. It was taken of the tank or vehicle properly in around 1946-1948 by a local farmer and was used on his farm as a food scoop for many years until it was found by a local collector who had them in his private collection until 2019 when it left the Ardennes area for the first time since the war. This is a very nice relic from the Ardennes Forest campaign during the battle of the Bulge in the winter of 1944-1945.This real bit of history from this famous battle which was Hitlers last offensive in the West.
The 116th Panzer Division, also known as the "Windhund (Greyhound) Division", was an armoured formation that was constituted in the Rhineland and Westphalia areas of western Germany in March 1944 from the remnants of the 16th Panzergrenadier Division, and the 179th Reserve Panzer Division. The 16th had suffered heavy casualties in combat on the Eastern Front near Stalingrad, and the 179th was a second-line formation that had been on occupation duty in France since 1943.
The 116th Panzer Division participated in the failed Ardennes offensive. On the 10th December 1944 in the days before the offensive started it was partly refitted, with 26 Panzer 4 Tanks and 43 Panther Tanks and 25 Jagdpanther tank destroyers (of which 13 were combat ready). However, it was still missing much of its organic transport. Initially stalled by the resistance and then poor bridges in attacks to cross the Our River at Luetzkampen and Ouren it back-tracked to march through Belgium from Dasburg to Houffalize. The division then fought its way as the middle spearhead of the advance on the Meuse from Samree to La Roche. It was then involved in heavy fighting at Hotton and Verdenne, where it was turned back at its furthest advance in the Ardennes. It later held the Allies at bay for other units to retreat, before being withdrawn over the Rhine in March 1945.Its commander was General Siegfried von Waldenburg for the Ardennes offensive and until the 18 April 1945 when the majority of the division was forced to surrender to the U.S. Ninth Army, having been trapped in the Ruhr Pocket.