Relics from the Front since 2010
  • French wooden crate for RYG 24/31 mle 1918 fueses used in artillery gun shells this box was captured by the Germans with a German label inside recovered from the Kurland Pocket of 1944-1945 in Latvia

    Free Shipping!
    There is only 1 item left in stock.

    French wooden crate for RYG 24/31 mle 1918 fueses used on impact ignition artillery gun shells this box was captured by the Germans in 1940 and re used on the captured French artillery guns this box has the remains of German label inside .This wooden crate stored and kept dry ammunition the box does not have much original paintwork white painted ends but its original French black stamped markings can be seen very clear and the date of the box which is 1940 markings can be seen on the front and back also on both ends the wood is still very solid both hinges and the locks still work perfectly the lid still opens and closes perfectly and has both its rope carry handles still in place on the inside again no real damage a nice used box.The crate overall is in very good condition with no real damage and is overall a fantastic example of this ammo crate which there are not many about especially captured ones.The box was recovered from the Kurland Pocket the battlefield of 1944-1945 in Latvia. A lovely piece of battlefield history and rare bit of used captured equipment from one of the most famous pockets on the Eastern Front.The box comes with a A5 laminated information card.


    The Kurland Pocket refers to the Red Army's blockade or isolation of Axis forces on the Courland Peninsula from July 1944 through May 1945.The pocket was created during the Red Army's Baltic Strategic Offensive Operation, when forces of the 1st Baltic Front reached the Baltic Sea near Memel during its lesser Memel Offensive Operation phases. This action isolated the German Army Group North from the rest of the German forces between Tukums and Liepāja in Latvia. Renamed Heeresgruppe Kurland on 25 January 1945 the Army Group remained isolated until the end of the war. When they were ordered to surrender to the Soviet command on 8 May, they were in "blackout" and did not get the official order before 10 May, two days after the capitulation of Germany. It was one of the last German groups to surrender in Europe.