German 8cm Mortar 3 shell carry case which is in completely fantastic condition for a recovered relic really is semi-relic at the worst.The box is complete and in lovely condition it is rusty in places but still solid it has most of its sand colour camouflage paintwork very clear to see on the outside and inside also on the outside it has all of its black stamped markings near all completely readable the hinge is broken the box of course opens and closes the hing could well be fixed the lock is a bit stiff but does work it has some rust holes on both sides but nothing to bad still has its carry handle with the wooden grip on the inside not as much paintwork it still has the shell holder racking in place not totally complete some of the wood has rotted away the case has been very nicely cleaned and is perfect to display and so very rare to find from the battlefield in this condition.The box was recovered from Mairle de Pleurtuit a Town which was part of the defence of Saint Malo occupied by troops of the 7th Army the battle was fought in August 1944 during allied advance from Normandy.The box comes with a A5 laminated information card.
The town was occupied by the Germans as part of fortress Saint Malo. Its strategic position on the road to Saint Malo and the presence of the airport made it an important element of the German defence in Brittany .The American 83 infantry Division attacked Saint Malo and it was the American 126th Infantry Regiment which attacked Pleurtuit its self the battle for the liberation of the town lasted a couple of days after heavy fighting. The battle for the walled city Saint Malo and the fortress positions began on August 4 1944 Allied intelligence had believed that there were 1000 German soldiers holed up in the area enclosed by the old walls and had bombed it heavily, however, when the city surrendered on August 14 only 83 German soldiers were taken prisinor. The commander of Fortress Saint-Malo, Colonel Von Aulock, surrendered all German forces in the area on August 17th, 1944. Most of the German troops in the area where the remnants of the 77th Infantry Division which were badly beaten in Normandy they were involved in the heavy fighting around the port and were so further decimated that on August 15 the division ceased to exist. The infantry division was only formed on 15 January 1944 in the town of Munsingen they were sent to Normandy as part of the 7th Army.
THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS. IT IS AT A REDUCED RATE. PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE