Relics from the Front Since 2010
  • SOLD

    £0.00
    Free Shipping!
    This item is out of stock

    This is a very rare find with recognisable bullet holes in a German 8mm armoured plate from sdkfz 7 half track of Panzer Grenadier Division Kurmark. The plate which has one clean hole and 3 impact dents where the bullets have not penetrated the holes are 1 cm in diameter the right size to be made by bullets from the Russian PTRD anti-tank rifle.The plate which still has lots of weld still retains its shiny colour it is rusty but solid it has been nicely cleaned up also has some remains of original green/gray paintwork it is 16 inches long by 5 inches wide in size and is perfect for display or any collection.The plate was recovered from the site of a a destroyed sdkfz 7 in Carzig south of the Seelow Heights the area defended by Panzer grenadier division Kurmark in April 1945 during the battle on the Heights part of the opening battle for Berlin.The plate comes with a A5 laminated information card with pictures.

    The Sd.Kfz. 7/2 was armed with a single 3.7cm flak 36 anti-aircraft gun. On many of these variants, the driver's position and the engine cover had 8 mm thick armoured plate.The holes are 1 cm in diameter the right size to be made by bullets from the Russian PTRD anti-tank rifle

    The unit that was to become Panzergrenadierdivision Kurmark was formed on 30 January 1945 as Kampfgruppe (Brigade) Langkeit from Panzergrenadier-Ersatz-Brigade Großdeutschland ‘Gneisenau’ at Frankfurt an der Oder. With the launch of the Soviet Berlin Offensive on 16 April, Panzergrenadierdivision ‘Kurmark’ taken from reserve and moved into defensive positions along the high ground running through Mallnow, Carzig, Schönfließ, and Dolgelin. Mounting Soviet pressure forced the division to withdraw on 19 April, with the retreat taking place across the front. A rearguard covered the retreat from good defensive positions at Hohenjesar and Schönfließ.After retreating southwest it ended up trapped in the Halbe Pocket with the majority of the Ninth Army. What was left of the division surrendered to US forces near Jerichow on 5 May 1945.

    The Battle of the Seelow Heights was part of the Seelow-Berlin Offensive Operation (16 April-2 May 1945). A pitched battle, it was one of the last assaults on large entrenched defensive positions of the Second World War. It was fought over three days, from 16–19 April 1945. Close to one million Soviet soldiers of the 1st Belorussian Front (including 78,556 soldiers of the Polish 1st Army), commanded by Marshal Georgi Zhukov, attacked the position known as the "Gates of Berlin". They were opposed by about 110,000 soldiers of the German 9th Army commanded by General Theodor Busse, as part of the Army Group Vistula.

    This battle is often incorporated into the Battle of the Oder-Neisse. The Seelow Heights was where some of the most bitter fighting in the overall battle took place, but it was only one of several crossing points along the Oder and Neisse rivers where the Soviets attacked. The Battle of the Oder-Neisse was itself only the opening phase of the Battle of Berlin.

    The result was the encirclement of the German 9th Army and the Battle of Halbe.

    THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS. IT IS AT A REDUCED RATE. PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE. 

    Pin on Achtung, FLiegerAbwehrKanone!