This is a rare find from the battlefield a German MP44 machine gun which is the front section it has no wood left at all and is deactivated by condition obviously plain to see not complete also the barrel is blocked in side as well and no moving parts they have all completely rusted solid and broken in some places.The machine gun section is in nice condition for a relic rusty and pitted it has been very nicely cleaned and is in very solid condition and a nice one for the collection perfect for display.The machine gun was recovered in Carzig south of the Seelow Heights the area defended by Panzer grenadier division Kurmark
in April 1945 during the battle on the Heights part of the opening battle for Berlin.The number plate comes with a A5 laminated information card with picture.
The unit that was to become Panzergrenadierdivision Kurmark was formed on 30 January 1945 as Kampfgruppe (Brigade) Langkeit from Panzergrenadier-Ersatz-Brigade Großdeutschland ‘Gneisenau’ at Frankfurt an der Oder. With the launch of the Soviet Berlin Offensive on 16 April, Panzergrenadierdivision ‘Kurmark’ taken from reserve and moved into defensive positions along the high ground running through Mallnow, Carzig, Schönfließ, and Dolgelin. Mounting Soviet pressure forced the division to withdraw on 19 April, with the retreat taking place across the front. A rearguard covered the retreat from good defensive positions at Hohenjesar and Schönfließ.After retreating southwest it ended up trapped in the Halbe Pocket with the majority of the Ninth Army. What was left of the division surrendered to US forces near Jerichow on 5 May 1945.
The Battle of the Seelow Heights was part of the Seelow-Berlin Offensive Operation (16 April-2 May 1945). A pitched battle, it was one of the last assaults on large entrenched defensive positions of the Second World War. It was fought over three days, from 16–19 April 1945. Close to one million Soviet soldiers of the 1st Belorussian Front (including 78,556 soldiers of the Polish 1st Army), commanded by Marshal Georgi Zhukov, attacked the position known as the "Gates of Berlin". They were opposed by about 110,000 soldiers of the German 9th Army commanded by General Theodor Busse, as part of the Army Group Vistula.
This battle is often incorporated into the Battle of the Oder-Neisse. The Seelow Heights was where some of the most bitter fighting in the overall battle took place, but it was only one of several crossing points along the Oder and Neisse rivers where the Soviets attacked. The Battle of the Oder-Neisse was itself only the opening phase of the Battle of Berlin.
The result was the encirclement of the German 9th Army and the Battle of Halbe.