This is a German soldiers half dog tag which is for the Cadre-Kompany, Pioneers replacement battalion 24 in the 404 Division of the Wehrmacht. This is a aluminium made early war production tag this is the half dog tag snapped down the middle it is in very nice solid condition for a relic with its markings completely readable it still retains a lot of its original colour but it is a bit dirty and damaged from being buried it has been nicely cleaned and is perfect for display or any collection and a very nice tag from this late war battlefield. The dog tag was recovered in the ruhr pocket of April 1945 in western Germany. The tag comes from a very large private collection of dog tags recovered some many years ago from all over Europe from most of the fronts fought on by the German Army in World War 2.
Cadre-Kompany. Pioneers replacement battalion 24 dogtag, Pioneers replacement battalion 24 was set up on August 26th 1939 in Riesa it was subordinate to the 404 replacement training division. On September 15, 1942, it was divided into a replacement engineer and reserve engineer battalion 24. From this day on, the replacement battalion was part of the 404 division this was formed in Dresden in September 1942 and stayed there until 1945. This is when it was split as the training troops were sent to fight the Eastern front and the replacement troops sent to fight the Americans.
On April 1, 1945, armoured divisions from both the First and the Ninth Armies met at the town of Lipstadt, trapping German Army Group B inside the Ruhr. Within three days, the equivalent of four American army corps had tightened the grip around the pocket. For the next two weeks, US troops attacked into the Ruhr to destroy the German forces trapped there. After several abortive counterattacks, the Germans began to retreat from the north side of the pocket, although Hitler had refused the request of the German commander, Field Marshal Model, to withdraw his badly outgunned forces. By April 14, 1945, the American advance had split the pocket in two as troops of the First and Ninth Armies met again, this time at the town of Hagen in the heart of the Ruhr. German troops began surrendering by the thousands. The rapidly shrinking eastern pocket surrendered on April 16, followed two days later by the remains of the western pocket. More than 300,000 Germans became prisoners of war, constituting the largest single German surrender in western Europe during the war in what came to be known as the Ruhr pocket.
THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS, IT IS AT A REDUCED RATE, PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE.X