This nicely presented glass frame includes the airframe inspection panel from German DFS 230 Assault Glider, and a section of silk parachute used by Fallschirmjager soldiers during the invasion and battle of Crete in May 1941.
These parts were recovered from the crash site area of one of these gliders in the 1970’s on Crete.
The DFS 230 was a transport glider operated by the Luftwaffe. The glider was the German inspiration for the British hotspur glider and was intended for paratrooper assault operations. In addition to the pilot, the DFS-230 glider had room for nine men who sat close together on a narrow bench located in the middle of the fuselage (half facing forward, half facing back). Entry and exit to the cramped interior was by a single side door. The front passenger could operate its only armament, a machine gun. It was an assault glider, designed to land directly on top of its target, so it was equipped with a parachute brake. This allowed the glider to approach its target in a dive at an angle of eighty degrees and land within 20 metres (60 ft) of its target. It carried a freight cargo of about 1,200 kg. It played significant roles in the operations at Fort Eben Emael, the Battle of Crete, and in the rescue of Benito Mussolini. It was also used in North Africa. However, it was used chiefly in supplying encircled forces on the Eastern Front such as supplying the Demyansk Pocket, the Kholm Pocket, Stalingrad, and the defenders of Festung Budapest (until February 12, 1945). Although production ceased in 1941, it was used right up to the end of the war, for instance, supplying Berlin and Breslau until May 1945
The pieces have been mounted in to a glass fronted box frame with the plane information and pictures. The frame is 13 inches by 11 inches in size.
THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS IT IS AT A REDUCED RATE. PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE.