This is a German soldier of the 77th infantry Division M35 helmet still with a fair amount of green paint remains mostly on the inside which can be seen very well .The helmet is in relic and rusty condition but with very few rust holes it is way more battle damage with impact holes and cracks all over the top and the front it is still in very solid condition and has cleaned up well .The helmet still has none of its leather liner but the liner ring is still in place pretty much complete and with its chin strap holders and still its lovely aluminium colour it has been very nicely cleaned and does have a fair bit of original colour it is perfect for display or any collection. The helmet was recovered from Mairle de Pleurtuit a Town which was part of the defence of Saint Malo occupied by troops of the 77th infantry Division the battle was fought in August 1944 during allied advance from Normandy.
The town was occupied by the German 77th infantry Division as part of fortress Saint Malo. Its strategic position on the road to Saint Malo and the presence of the airport made it an important element of the German defence in Brittany .The American 83 infantry Division attacked Saint Malo and it was the American 126th Infantry Regiment which attacked Pleurtuit its self the battle for the liberation of the town lasted a couple of days after heavy fighting. The battle for the walled city Saint Malo and the fortress positions began on August 4 1944 Allied intelligence had believed that there were 1000 German soldiers holed up in the area enclosed by the old walls and had bombed it heavily, however, when the city surrendered on August 14 only 83 German soldiers were taken prisoner. The commander of Fortress Saint-Malo, Colonel Von Aulock, surrendered all German forces in the area on August 17th, 1944. Most of the German troops in the area where the remnants of the 77th Infantry Division which were badly beaten in Normandy they were involved in the heavy fighting around the port and were so further decimated that on August 15 the division ceased to exist. The infantry division was only formed on 15 January 1944 in the town of Munsingen they were sent to Normandy as part of the 7th Army.
THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS. IT IS AT A REDUCED RATE. PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE