This is a unusual find from the battlefield German wooden crate for originally for carrying paperwork-files re used for ammunition it is complete the wood is still solid with no major damage still retains its original green paintwork. The box still has its metal hinges both still work fine the lock is missing and the lid does not close properly on the sides all the metal work on this box is not very rusty again has some original paintwork it has its replacement metal handles on side these are for the increased weight that the box carried with ammunition not files .The box has white stamped marking on the lid which says files on the side it is maker marked and dated 1936 it still has its cloth retaining strap inside also inside is original German hand written pencil writing done by a soldier themselves i would think again very clear to see. The box has some knocks and scuffs with light damage from use but is very solid not braking up it is a large size at 24 inches long and 15 inches wide the box has been very well cleaned and is perfect for display or any collection. The box is available for the first time since the war outside of the Ardennes Forest ware it has been for nearly 74 years. This crate along with other parts were taken from abandoned German vehicles after the war in the village of Mont which is just North of Houffalize all the vehicles belonged to the 116th Panzer Division. It was taken of the tank or vehicle properly in around 1946-1948 by a local farmer and was used on his farm for many years until it was found by a local collector who had them in his private collection until 2020 when it left the Ardennes area for the first time since the war. This is a very nice relic from the Ardennes Forest campaign during the battle of the Bulge in the winter of 1944-1945.This real bit of history from this famous battle which was Hitlers last offensive in the West.
The 116th Panzer Division, also known as the "Windhund (Greyhound) Division", was an armoured formation that was constituted in the Rhineland and Westphalia areas of western Germany in March 1944 from the remnants of the 16th Panzergrenadier Division, and the 179th Reserve Panzer Division. The 16th had suffered heavy casualties in combat on the Eastern Front near Stalingrad, and the 179th was a second-line formation that had been on occupation duty in France since 1943.
THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS IT IS A REDUCED RATE PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE.