This is a track link rubber shoe, very nice condition complete it is dated 1942 with maker stamp on the back of it. The shoe which is partly rusty but not to bad at all the rubber is in lovely condition very solid still retains its original black colour it has been well cleaned and is perfect for display or any collection the link is from the German sdkfz 2, Kettenkrad .This track link shoe was recovered from Mairle de Pleurtuit a Town which was part of the defence of Saint Malo occupied by troops of the 7th Army the battle was fought in August 1944 during allied advance from Normandy. The link comes with a A5 laminated information card.
The SdKfz 2, better known as the Kleines Kettenkraftrad HK 101 or Kettenkrad for short (where Ketten means "chain" or "tracks" and krad is the military abbreviation of the German word Kraftrad, the administrative German term for motorcycle), started its life as a light tractor for airborne troops. The vehicle was designed to be delivered by Junkers Ju 52 aircraft, though not by parachute. The vehicle had the advantage of being the only gun tractor small enough to fit inside the hold of the Ju 52, and was the lightest mass-produced German military vehicle to use the complex Schachtellaufwerk overlapped and interleaved road wheels used on almost all German military half-track vehicles of World War II.
The town was occupied by the Germans as part of fortress Saint Malo. Its strategic position on the road to Saint Malo and the presence of the airport made it an important element of the German defence in Brittany .The American 83 infantry Division attacked Saint Malo and it was the American 126th Infantry Regiment which attacked Pleurtuit its self the battle for the liberation of the town lasted a couple of days after heavy fighting. The battle for the walled city Saint Malo and the fortress positions began on August 4 1944 Allied intelligence had believed that there were 1000 German soldiers holed up in the area enclosed by the old walls and had bombed it heavily, however, when the city surrendered on August 14 only 83 German soldiers were taken prisinor. The commander of Fortress Saint-Malo, Colonel Von Aulock, surrendered all German forces in the area on August 17th, 1944. Most of the German troops in the area where the remnants of the 77th Infantry Division which were badly beaten in Normandy they were involved in the heavy fighting around the port and were so further decimated that on August 15 the division ceased to exist. The infantry division was only formed on 15 January 1944 in the town of Munsingen they were sent to Normandy as part of the 7th Army.
THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS. IT IS AT A REDUCED RATE. PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE