This is a German battle damaged footplate from inside floor of a panther tank.The plate is in relic but solid condition it is rusty but is not braking up at all it has been ripped off the tank by an explosion with clear damage down one side the panel which still retains its bubble finnish and is 18 inches long by 17 inches wide and overall it is in very nice condition it has been very well cleaned perfect to display. It is a cracking relic recovered from the remains of German Panther Tank of the 14th Panzer Division which was destroyed in the battle in the Kurland Pocket the battlefield of 1944-1945 in Latvia. A lovely piece of battlefield history from one of the most famous pockets on the Eastern Front.The extinguiher comes with A5 laminated information card with picture.
The 14th Panzer Division in late 1942 was transferred to Friedrich Paulus' VI Army, and soon after were encircled at Stalingrad. By February 1943, the Division had been destroyed in the fighting at the Battle of Stalingrad. The division was reformed in Brittany, France By November 1943, and when combat ready was transferred back to Army Group South on the Eastern Front. It now had an additional battalion of StuG assault guns, the III/36 Panzer Regiment. The division was part of Army Group South up to June 1944. In August, after being refitted, it was transferred to Army Group North to the Kurland area. The refit included delivery of Panther tanks. In January 1945, the Red Army launched several major offensives across the Eastern Front. Much of Army Group North - including 14th Panzer Division - were bypassed and became trapped in the Kurland Pocket, and remained there until Germany’s surrendered in May 1945.
The Kurland Pocket refers to the Red Army's blockade or isolation of Axis forces on the Courland Peninsula from July 1944 through May 1945.The pocket was created during the Red Army's Baltic Strategic Offensive Operation, when forces of the 1st Baltic Front reached the Baltic Sea near Memel during its lesser Memel Offensive Operation phases. This action isolated the German Army Group North from the rest of the German forces between Tukums and Liepāja in Latvia. Renamed Heeresgruppe Kurland on 25 January 1945 the Army Group remained isolated until the end of the war. When they were ordered to surrender to the Soviet command on 8 May, they were in "blackout" and did not get the official order before 10 May, two days after the capitulation of Germany. It was one of the last German groups to surrender in Europe. Below German troops in the Kurland Pocket.
THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS IT IS A REDUCED RATE PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE.