This is a wheel from the back tracks used by German RSO artillery tractor found many years ago then used post war on a local Farm.The wheel which is a rare late war type solid centre pattern with only one hole not sure if that is post war or not i could only find one picture of this wheel so not made in massive numbers.The wheel has no tyre left on it the metal centre is un damaged and very rare it has no extra bolt holes drilled in it the wheel is still its nice round shape but is damaged on one edge possibly battle damage but could just be from use it still has a fair bit of original black paintwork in places mostly on the inside of the wheel fairly clear to see it is in relic condition rusty but still solid and has been very nicely cleaned perfect for any display or collection.The wheel which is available for the first time since the war outside of the Ardennes Forest ware it has been for nearly 74 years .This wheel along with other parts were taken from a abandoned German vehicles after the war in the village of Mont which is just North of Houffalize all the vehicles belonged to the 116th Panzer Division.It was taken from the RSO in around 1946-1948 by a local farmer and was used on his farm for many years until it was found by a local collector who had them in his private collection until 2018 when they left the Ardennes area for the first time since the war.This is a very rare relic from the Ardennes Forest campaign during the battle of the Bulge in the winter of 1944-1945.This real bit of tank history from this famous battle which was Hitlers last offensive in the West comes with a A5 laminated information sheet.
THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS IT IS AT A REDUCED RATE. PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE.
The 116th Panzer Division, also known as the "Windhund (Greyhound) Division", was an armoured formation that was constituted in the Rhineland and Westphalia areas of western Germany in March 1944 from the remnants of the 16th Panzergrenadier Division, and the 179th Reserve Panzer Division. The 16th had suffered heavy casualties in combat on the Eastern Front near Stalingrad, and the 179th was a second-line formation that had been on occupation duty in France since 1943.
The 116th Panzer Division participated in the failed Ardennes offensive. On the 10th December 1944 in the days before the offensive started it was partly refitted, with 26 Panzer 4 Tanks and 43 Panther Tanks and 25 Jagdpanther tank destroyers (of which 13 were combat ready). However, it was still missing much of its organic transport. Initially stalled by the resistance and then poor bridges in attacks to cross the Our River at Luetzkampen and Ouren it back-tracked to march through Belgium from Dasburg to Houffalize. The division then fought its way as the middle spearhead of the advance on the Meuse from Samree to La Roche. It was then involved in heavy fighting at Hotton and Verdenne, where it was turned back at its furthest advance in the Ardennes. It later held the Allies at bay for other units to retreat, before being withdrawn over the Rhine in March 1945.Its commander was General Siegfried von Waldenburg for the Ardennes offensive and until the 18 April 1945 when the majority of the division was forced to surrender to the U.S. Ninth Army, having been trapped in the Ruhr Pocket.
THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS IT IS AT A REDUCED
RATE. PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE.