Relics from the Front Since 2010
  • German Fuel can the famous Jerry can maker marked Austria,Vienna dated 1942 used by the 116th Panzer Division recovered from near Houffalize in the Ardennes forest from battle of the bulge winter 1944-1945

    £50.00
    Free Shipping!
    There is only 1 item left in stock.

    This is a German fuel can the famous Jerry can which has all maker stamps and markings and is dated 1942.The tin has some of its original black paintwork and what looks like red undercoat paint on and with a nice maker stamp AUSTRIA,VIENNA in the middle and Wehrmacht on the bottom of the front .The can which has some dents and knocks from use and with some rust holes in the bottom it has light surface rust all over but not any heavy thick rust the cap still opens and closes also locks perfectly well it is in overall very nice condition and a very nice example of this famous fuel can battlefield found and more semi-relic then full relic which has been very well cleaned and is perfect for display or any collection.The fuel can was available for the first time since the war outside of the Ardennes Forest ware it has been for nearly 74 years .This fuel can along with other parts were taken from abandoned German vehicles after the war in the village of Mont which is just North of Houffalize all the vehicles belonged to the 116th Panzer Division.It was taken of the tank or vehicle properly in around 1946-1948 by a local farmer and was used on his farm for many years until it was found by a local collector who had them in his private collection until 2019 when it left the Ardennes area for the first time since the war.This is a very nice relic from the Ardennes Forest campaign during the battle of the Bulge in the winter of 1944-1945.This real bit of history from this famous battle which was Hitlers last offensive in the West.

    The 116th Panzer Division, also known as the "Windhund (Greyhound) Division", was an armoured formation that was constituted in the Rhineland and Westphalia areas of western Germany in March 1944 from the remnants of the 16th Panzergrenadier Division, and the 179th Reserve Panzer Division. The 16th had suffered heavy casualties in combat on the Eastern Front near Stalingrad, and the 179th was a second-line formation that had been on occupation duty in France since 1943.

    The 116th Panzer Division participated in the failed Ardennes offensive. On the 10th December 1944 in the days before the offensive started it was partly refitted, with 26 Panzer 4 Tanks and 43 Panther Tanks and 25 Jagdpanther tank destroyers (of which 13 were combat ready). However, it was still missing much of its organic transport. Initially stalled by the resistance and then poor bridges in attacks to cross the Our River at Luetzkampen and Ouren it back-tracked to march through Belgium from Dasburg to Houffalize. The division then fought its way as the middle spearhead of the advance on the Meuse from Samree to La Roche. It was then involved in heavy fighting at Hotton and Verdenne, where it was turned back at its furthest advance in the Ardennes. It later held the Allies at bay for other units to retreat, before being withdrawn over the Rhine in March 1945.Its commander was General Siegfried von Waldenburg for the Ardennes offensive and until the 18 April 1945 when the majority of the division was forced to surrender to the U.S. Ninth Army, having been trapped in the Ruhr Pocket.

    THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING, FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS, IT IS AT A REDUCED RATE, PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE.X


    Image result for german soldier with fuel can