Relics from the Front Since 2010
  • German M40 helmet with black and red paintwork remains used as food scoop worn by solider of the 116th Panzer Division taken from abandoned German vehicles after the war near Houffalize from battle of Bulge 1944

    £75.00
    Free Shipping!
    There is only 1 item left in stock.

    This is a very rare German M40 helmet with black and red paintwork remains converted and used as a food scoop. The helmet is very smooth to the touch really semi-relic more then relic it is only lightly rusty and pitted but with rust hole in the top it does have the remains of the mount bracket welded on to the side of it which would of had its wooden pole attached and had a bracket on the other as well also the vent holes have been welded. The helmet is lovely and solid not braking up or falling apart not sure if the paintwork is original or post war it has been very well cleaned as is perfect for display or any collection and a very rare helmet to find from the battlefield especially in this condition. The helmet was available for the first time since the war outside of the Ardennes Forest where it has been for nealy 74 years. This helmet along with other parts were taken from abandoned German vehicles after the war in the village of Mont which is just North of Houffalize all the vehicles belonged to the 116th Panzer Division. It was taken of the tank or vehicle properly in around 1946-1948 by a local farmer and was used on his farm as a food scoop for many years until it was found by a local collector who had them in his private collection until 2019 when it left the Ardennes area for the first time since the war. This is a very nice relic from the Ardennes Forest campaign during the battle of the Bulge in the winter of 1944-1945.This real bit of history from this famous battle which was Hitlers last offensive in the West.

    The 116th Panzer Division, also known as the "Windhund (Greyhound) Division", was an armoured formation that was constituted in the Rhineland and Westphalia areas of western Germany in March 1944 from the remnants of the 16th Panzergrenadier Division, and the 179th Reserve Panzer Division. The 16th had suffered heavy casualties in combat on the Eastern Front near Stalingrad, and the 179th was a second-line formation that had been on occupation duty in France since 1943.

    The 116th Panzer Division participated in the failed Ardennes offensive. On the 10th December 1944 in the days before the offensive started it was partly refitted, with 26 Panzer 4 Tanks and 43 Panther Tanks and 25 Jagdpanther tank destroyers (of which 13 were combat ready). However, it was still missing much of its organic transport. Initially stalled by the resistance and then poor bridges in attacks to cross the Our River at Luetzkampen and Ouren it back-tracked to march through Belgium from Dasburg to Houffalize. The division then fought its way as the middle spearhead of the advance on the Meuse from Samree to La Roche. It was then involved in heavy fighting at Hotton and Verdenne, where it was turned back at its furthest advance in the Ardennes. It later held the Allies at bay for other units to retreat, before being withdrawn over the Rhine in March 1945.Its commander was General Siegfried von Waldenburg for the Ardennes offensive and until the 18 April 1945 when the majority of the division was forced to surrender to the U.S. Ninth Army, having been trapped in the Ruhr Pocket.

    THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS IT IS AT A REDUCED RATE. PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE.

    World War II: The Fall of Nazi Germany - The Atlantic

    Reviews