RARE two round metal ammunition box for early Panzer 4 tank fitted with KWK37 short-barrelled 75 mm gun infantry support tank which has been re used under the German late war Aushilfs Verpackung or re issued packing case where cases for guns no longer used very much were re used for ammunition for guns that were still very much being used this tank box was re used for 7.5 leichtes infantry support gun .The box is complete but does have a lot of rust and some rust holes both hinges are broken on the lid the carry handle still work the box still has some original green paintwork not a great deal and has some of its white stamped markings that can be seen on one side which is the rare bit as it is a re issued box and was still being used late on in the war very rare to find from the battlefield. A very nice and rare early war example of this ammunition crate which was still in use with the Army in 1944-1945 and shows how desperate the Germans had become by the end of the war.The box was recovered from the area where the German 30th infantry division fought and finally surrendered in May 1945 near the village of Tilti which is south of Derben in the Kurland Pocket the battlefield of 1944-1945. A lovely piece of iconic battle history from one of the most famous pockets on the Eastern Front.
The 30th Infantry Division of the Wehrmacht was created on 1 October 1936 in Lubeck and mobilized on 26 August 1939 for the upcoming invasion of Poland. It was to attack in the general direction of the area in front of Lodz. It fought battles in areas of Kalisch, during the Vistula crossing at Warta, also at Kol. Balin, Niewiesz and Uniejew. During the Battle of bzura they suffered heavy losses, including 1500 POWs captured by the Poles. They had to reject violent counterattacks and attempts to escape by the trapped Polish troops. After the Battle of Bzura was over, the division moved north of Lowicz in pursuit of the defeated enemy.On 16 June 1940, the unit conducted a victory parade in Paris. In the winter of 1941 the division was trapped in the Demyansk Pocket along with about 90,000 German troops and around 10,000 auxiliaries. They were then part of Army group North when they were trapped in the Kurland pocket they then come under Army Group Courland and their last commander was Generalleutnant Albert Henze who took command on the 30th January 1945 until the capitulation in May 1945.
The Kurland Pocket refers to the Red Army's blockade or isolation of Axis forces on the Courland Peninsula from July 1944 through May 1945.The pocket was created during the Red Army's Baltic Strategic Offensive Operation, when forces of the 1st Baltic Front reached the Baltic Sea near Memel during its lesser Memel Offensive Operation phases. This action isolated the German Army Group North from the rest of the German forces between Tukums and Liepāja in Latvia. Renamed Heeresgruppe Kurland on 25 January 1945 the Army Group remained isolated until the end of the war. When they were ordered to surrender to the Soviet command on 8 May, they were in "blackout" and did not get the official order before 10 May, two days after the capitulation of Germany. It was one of the last German groups to surrender in Europe.
THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS IT IS A REDUCED RATE PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE.
The 30th infantry division on parade in Paris in 1940