Relics from the Front Since 2010
  • Russian SSh40 Helmet worn by soldier of the 5th Guards Army solid relic condition that was recovered from Psel River area,south of Kursk defended by them against German 2nd SS Panzer corps during the German Kursk offensive in July-August 1943

    £38.00
    Free Shipping!
    There is only 1 item left in stock.

    This is a Russian SSH40 pattern helmet with a few rust roles nothing to bad it is very solid not braking up or falling apart. The helmet does not have any of its leather liner but has some of its ring in place it has been very nicely cleaned and is perfect for display or any collection. This helmet was used by soldier of the 5th Guards Army recovered in the area of the Psel River, south of Kursk on the Voronezh front. This area was defended by them against the German 2nd SS Panzer corps during the battle part of Operation Citadel the German Kursk offensive in July-August 1943 in Russia. The helmet comes with 2 X A5 laminated information card with pictures.

    For Operation Citadel the Germans used four armies along with a large portion of their total tank strength on the Eastern Front. On 1 July, the 9th Army of Army Group Centre based in the northern side of the salient contained 335,000 men (223,000 combat soldiers); in the south, the 4th Panzer Army and Army Detachment "Kempf", of Army Group South, had 223,907 men (149,271 combat soldiers) and 100,000–108,000 men (66,000 combat soldiers) respectively. The 2nd Army, that held the western side of the salient contained an estimated 110,000. In total, the German forces had a total strength of 777,000–779,000 men, and the three attacking armies contained 438,271 combat soldiers Army Group South was equipped with more armoured vehicles, infantry and artillery than the 9th Army of Army Group Centre. The 4th Panzer Army and Army Detachment "Kempf" had 1,377 tanks and assault guns, while the 9th Army possessed 988 tanks and assault guns. German industry produced 2,816 tanks and self-propelled guns between April and June, of which 156 were Tigers and 484 Panthers. At Kursk, a total of 259 Panthers, about 211 Tigers, and 90 Ferdinands were used. Photo below Tiger I heavy tanks of the German 2nd SS Panzer Division 'Das Reich', Kursk, Russia, June 1943.

    THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS, IT IS AT A REDUCED RATE. PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE.

    Why is this WWII submachine gun on every Red Army monument? - Russia Beyond