This is a German soldiers half dog tag which is for the 2nd company Motorised infantry replacement battalion 24 in the the 21st Infantry Division in the Wehrmacht . This is a aluminium made early to mid war production tag this is the half dog tag snapped down the middle it is in nice solid condition for a relic but does have some damage with its markings pretty much readable it still retains a lot of its original colour but it is a bit dirty and damaged from being buried it has been nicely cleaned and is perfect for display or any collection and a very nice tag from this heavily fought late war eastern front battlefield. The dog tag was recovered from the Hieligenbeil pocket of 1945 in East Prussia where the German 4th Army was practically destroyed .The tag comes from a very large private collection of dog tags recovered some many years ago from all over Europe from most of the fronts fought on by the German Army in World War 2.
2 / Motorised infantry replacement battalion 24 dogtag. Replacement battalion 24 was responsible for reinforcing the 21st Infantry Division. The division was one of the first units that invaded Poland storming the fortress of Graudenz. This unit also took part in the western campaign by invading Luxembourg, Belgium and France. The division would later be reassigned to the Eastern Front, marching to Lithuania and eventually advancing on Volkhovstroy. The division took part in the battle for Ssinjawino heights, maintaining heavy losses as it had remained on the front. It was then forced to withdraw from Leningrad, being pushed to Riga and being loaded onto boats before returning home. The division was refreshed and deployed in the Tilsit area. It was pushed back once again before being encircled at the Hieligenbeil pocket where it was smashed. Remnants were later reformed at the Peyse Peninsula as a combat group but that was also destroyed in April 1945.
The pocket had been formed in January 1945 when 24 German Divisions (4th Army) were encircled on a coastal strip just west of the city of Kaliningrad the pocket was located near the town of Hieligenbeil in East Prussia in Eastern Germany. Where the Wehrmacht's 4th Army with units including 24th Panzer Division,Panzergrenadier Division "Großdeutschland and Fallschirm-Panzergrenadier-Division 2 "Hermann Göring were almost entirely destroyed during the Soviet Braunsberg offensive operation the pocket lasted from from the 26thJanuary until 29th March 1945.The final Russian attack to crush the pocket started on the 13th March 1945 the two weeks that followed, saw misery and destruction on a vast scale for Russians and Germans alike. German casualties topped 93,000 (5,600 for Grossdeutschland alone). The Russian casualties were on a similiar scale. Many German civilians and soldiers were evacuated by sea - this included 60,826 wounded combatants. At the end some 46, 000 men of the German 4th Army faced an uncertain future in captivity.
THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS, IT IS AT A REDUCED RATE, PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE.X