This is a Track wheel which is very large from the large 5 ton German sdkfz 6 halftrack a rare wheel to get recovered from the battlefield. The wheel still has the remains of its tyre but with no markings it has well worn down and has been very well used the metal wheel is pretty much un damaged but does have a impact strike clear to see it is still its nice round shape still with a lot of original sand colour paintwork very clear to see but the even rarer bit on the back has its original gray paintwork the factory issue colour properly from when the half track was made before it went to the front again nice and clear to see and very rare to find it is in relic condition rusty but still solid and has been very nicely cleaned perfect for any display or collection the wheel has post war bolt holes so was used post war on a Farm.This wheel along with a few other parts were taken from a abandoned German half tracks in the village of Mont which is just North of Houffalize from one of the sdkfz 6 half tracks used by the 116th Panzer Division.They were taken of the half track in around 1946-1948 by a local farmer and were used on a cart on his farm for many years until they were found by a local collector who had them in his private collection until 2018 when they left the Ardennes area for the first time since the war.This is a very very rare relic from the Ardennes Forest campaign during the battle of the Bulge in the winter of 1944-1945.This real bit of rare to find German vehicle history from this famous battle which was Hitlers last offensive in the West.It comes with 2 X A5 laminated information sheets with many pictures.
.The 116th Panzer Division, also known as the "Windhund (Greyhound) Division", was an armoured formation that was constituted in the Rhineland and Westphalia areas of western Germany in March 1944 from the remnants of the 16th Panzergrenadier Division, and the 179th Reserve Panzer Division. The 16th had suffered heavy casualties in combat on the Eastern Front near Stalingrad, and the 179th was a second-line formation that had been on occupation duty in France since 1943.
The 116th Panzer Division participated in the failed Ardennes offensive. On the 10th December 1944 in the days before the offensive started it was partly refitted, with 26 Panzer 4 Tanks and 43 Panther Tanks and 25 Jagdpanther tank destroyers (of which 13 were combat ready). However, it was still missing much of its organic transport. Initially stalled by the resistance and then poor bridges in attacks to cross the Our River at Luetzkampen and Ouren it back-tracked to march through Belgium from Dasburg to Houffalize. The division then fought its way as the middle spearhead of the advance on the Meuse from Samree to La Roche. It was then involved in heavy fighting at Hotton and Verdenne, where it was turned back at its furthest advance in the Ardennes. It later held the Allies at bay for other units to retreat, before being withdrawn over the Rhine in March 1945.Its commander was General Siegfried von Waldenburg for the Ardennes offensive and until the 18 April 1945 when the majority of the division was forced to surrender to the U.S. Ninth Army, having been trapped in the Ruhr Pocket.
THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS IT IS AT A REDUCED
RATE. PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE