Russian soldiers combat award Guards badge still with its original paintwork, semi-relic condition at worst. The badge still retains a lot of original colour the paintwork on the front is nice the brass on the back has partly discoloured the screw fitting and pin on the back are missing. The badge was recovered from a pit of buried Russian equipment cleared after the battle in the area of Wandlitz which is north of the district of Pankow which is in North Berlin captured by the Russian 3rd Shock Army on there way to capturing Pankow its self on the 23rd April 1945 during the Battle for the city in the last days of the War and of the Reich.
The 3rd Army took Pankow, a suburb of Berlin, on 23 April 1945. A week later, two regiments of the 150th Rifle Division, 79th Rifle Corps in the 3rd shock army were responsible for erecting flags over the Reichstag on 30 April 1945, one of which was known as the victory banner. The Red Army crossed Germany's border on the 12th January 1945 and forced the 9th Army to retreat all along the front until it was deployed westward to the river Oder. Three of the 9th Army's formations were tasked with defending the Seelow Heights, which was the last defensible region before Berlin. In total the 9th Army was reduced to 100,000 men and 800 tanks and assault guns against which the Soviets had over 1,000,000 men and 10,000 tanks and assault guns. The Battle of the Seelow Heights started on 16 April 1945 when Marshal Georgy Zhukov’s 1st Belorussian Front attacked across the Oder.
The Gvardia badge or Guards badge was introduced in to the Russian Army in 1943 and was a piece of insignia awarded to soldiers serving in units that proved themselves worthy of the Guards title in the Great Patriotic War or world war 2.
THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS, IT IS AT A REDUCED RATE. PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE.