This is a glass framed German aluminum belt buckle for soldier in the German RAD [Reich Labour Service] and the remains of a table knife maker marked and dated 1938. The buckle is in relic condition but nice condition still very solid and retains its original colour which has slightly ripped and bent up on the front and on the back the badge and swastika can be seen partly clearly the knife is missing its handle and is maker mark and dated 1938 fairly clear to see. The relics have been very well cleaned and is perfect for display or any collection.The badge and knife have been mounted in to a glass fronted box frame with information and pictures and is 10 inches by 10 inches in size.The buckle and knife were recovered in the area of the village of Marinovka which was defended by the 297th Infantry Division during the battle of 1942-1943 at Stalingrad in Russia.
The role of the RAD was not limited to combat support functions. Hundreds of RAD units received training as anti-aircraft units and were deployed as RAD Flak Batteries. Several RAD units also performed combat on the eastern front as infantry. As the German defences were devastated, more and more RAD men were committed to combat. During the final months of the war, RAD men formed 6 major frontline units, which were involved with serious fighting.
On June 10, 1942, the 297th division began crossing the Seversky Donets river by assault boat, constructing a bridge for other units, including the 14th Panzer Division. The division continued to make inroads around the black sea to take down the industrial city of Stalingrad. During the battle some units within the division were seen to construct caves which would later be transformed into a field hospital and an equipment storage room. The division fought in the ruined city until Field Marshal Friedrich Paulus surrender of the 6th Army in January 1943
THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS IT IS AT A REDUCED RATE. PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE