This is part of a group of parts recovered from the site of old German prisoner of war camp which held Allied soldiers taken prisoners captured early in the war .These are a pair of German army issue zeltbahn tent pegs which are both maker marked and both are dated 1939. The pegs are aluminium made and are in relic condition still with there original colour still very solid they are not braking up or falling apart the pegs have been very well cleaned and are perfect for display or any collection. The pegs were recovered from German prisoner of war camp for Allied soldiers Stalag 344 in the village of Lamsdorf in Silesia, Southwestern Poland.The pegs come with 2xA5 laminated information cards with pictures
The camp used in World War 1 and closed after the war ended It was reopened in 1939 to house Polish prisoners from the German invasion of Poland in September 1939. Later during the war, approximately 100,000 prisoners from 16 different Allied nations including Great Britain, France, Russia, and the USA all passed through this camp. In 1941 a separate camp, stalag 344-F was set up close by to house the Soviet Prisoners. In 1943, the Lamsdorf camp was split up, and many of the prisoners (and Arbeitskommando) were transferred to two new base camps stalag-C Sagan and stalag-D Teschen. The base camp at Lamsdorf was renumbered Stalag 344.The Soviet Army reached the camp on 17 March 1945.
By 1943, the famous camp known for the Great Escape for Allied flight personnel in Sagan – stalag Luft 3 - had become so overcrowded that about 1,000, mostly non-commissioned flight personnel, were transferred to Lamsdorf. A part of Stalag VIII-B was separated by building new barbed-wire fences, designated Stalag Luft VIII-B. Thus, a camp within a camp was created. However, all food was provided from kitchens operated by army personnel in the camp proper.
THIS ITEM IS FREE UK SHIPPING. FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS IT IS AT A REDUCED RATE. PLEASE ASK BEFORE PURCHASE.